CU Award Programs
CU Award Programs
Following the philosophy of “People helping people,” credit unions make a difference for their members and the communities they serve. While focusing on member needs, credit unions work for the ongoing development of communities through policies developed and accepted by the members.
The League of Southeastern Credit Unions (LSCU) promotes community and youth involvement among member credit unions through recognition awards such as the Distinguished Service Award, Credit Union of the Year, Professional of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award, Louis Herring Award for Philosophy in Action, and Desjardins Youth & Adult Financial Education Award. These award programs are in place to honor professionals, volunteers, and credit unions for excellence in leadership and service.
The LSCU is proud to recognize those professionals, volunteers, young professionals, and credit unions that have made outstanding contributions to the development and growth of the credit union movement.
View the 2015 awards brochure to learn about each LSCU award.
The recipients of the LSCU Awards are selected by a committee of credit union CEOs from various sizes of credit unions in both states. The 2015 winners (listed below) were announced Friday, May 15 and presented at the 2015 Southeast Credit Union Conference & Expo, June 19, 2015. View past winners of these awards in the LSCU Awards Archives.
2015 LSCU Award Recipients
- Distinguished Service Award:
- James Phillips, former manager of BF Goodrich Employees Credit Union (now Alabama One), credit union consultant
- Professional of the Year (tie):
- Betty Mixon, CEO, Gulf Coast Federal Credit Union
- Bob Steensma, CEO, Five Star Credit Union
- Young Professional of the Year:
- Heather Mouhourtis, assistant branch manager, Community First Credit Union of FL
- Volunteer of the Year:
- Larry “Mack” Lee, board director, supervisory committee chairman, Coosa Pines Credit Union
- Credit Union of the Year:
- Up to $100 million in assets: Riverdale Credit Union
- $100-$500 million in assets: Jax Federal Credit Union
- $500 million or more: Florida Credit Union
CUNA’s National Award programs are designed to encourage and recognize distinguished credit unions which demonstrate social responsibility (the Dora Maxwell Award), the credit union philosophy (the Louise Herring Award), and financial education (the Desjardins Awards).
New Submission Process for 2015
In an effort to streamline the submission process for our member credit unions and to reduce financial and human resources spent on the submission process, CUNA and the Leagues have collaborated to produce one standardized format and online submission process for the following awards:
- Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- Louise Herring Philosophy-in-Action Member Service Award
- Desjardins Youth & Adult Financial Education Awards
You will automatically establish an account when you create an application to submit your first project by clicking on the designated link below. You may save your work and return to the submission site as often as needed as long as you complete and submit all parts of the project submission by the due date for the respective awards program.
If you are a credit union from Alabama, visit the Alabama credit union award submission homepage.
If you are a credit union from Florida, visit the Florida credit union award submission homepage.
The homepages include directions, previous winners, and information on the awards. The links for the award submissions are also on the homepages.
Deadline for submissions: Friday, August 7