Professional Development Grants
The Southeastern Credit Union Foundation (SECUF) awards scholarships throughout the year for credit union CEOs, employees, board members, and supervisory committee members to attend the League of Southeastern Credit Unions & Affiliates (LSCU) and Credit Union National Association (CUNA) educational events.
The scholarship program is designed for smaller asset size credit unions and credit unions with financial hardships. The scholarships not only cover tuition but may also cover a portion of travel costs. Scholarships are awarded to those individuals who best exemplify the credit union philosophy, and whose attendance at approved programs would be beneficial in the perpetuation of credit union goals and ideas on an as-needed basis.
Scholarship requests must be received at least 30 days before the event. Credit unions receiving SAS (Small Asset Size) funds must exhaust those funds before they are eligible to receive a scholarship.
Scholarship applications will be accepted for the following events and awarded upon approval of the scholarship committee:
|Scholarship Opportunities||Event Date||Registration Deadline||Who Can Apply?||Request Limit|
|Southeast Directors & Supervisory Committee Conference||August 11 - 14, 2019||July 12, 2019||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||$1,000|
|Credit Union Development Educator Certification (CUDE)||September 11 - 17, 2019||August 12, 2019||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||Varies|
|LSCU Hike the Hill||September 3 - 4, 2019||August 2, 2019||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||$1,000|
|Southeast Leadership Development Conference||November 5 - 8, 2019||October 4, 2019||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||$1,000|
|Southeast Leadership Development Conference||November 5 - 8, 2019||October 4, 2019||Any member of the LSCU credit union Young Professional Group||$500|
|Credit Union Development Educator Certification (CUDE)||November 6 - 12, 2019||October 7, 2019||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||Varies|
|Other LSCU/CUNA Educational Requests||Any||30 days prior to event/training||Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union||$500|
Additional scholarship opportunities may be found at the following sites:
If interested in a scholarship, please complete the scholarship application online or email SECUF Development Coordinator, Bobbi Grady. Applications are accepted throughout the year.
For more information on nominating a 2019 Chapter Champion, please contact your Chapter President.
Scholarship Application Guidelines
Educational scholarships offer financial assistance to credit union staff, management and officials who wish to further their credit union education. Scholarships are available for conferences and workshops offered by the League of Southeastern Credit Unions (LSCU) and the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
- Any credit union employee or volunteer of an affiliated credit union may apply for an educational scholarship.
- Credit unions cannot be awarded the same scholarship in consecutive years.
- Not more than one scholarship will be awarded to any one credit union and/or individual each year.
- Applicants may apply for scholarships for different programs in different years.
- Individuals enrolled in a program requiring more than one year of study will be ineligible to receive a scholarship to that program for more than one year.
- Scholarship requests must be received at least 30 days before the event.
- Credit unions under $50 million in assets must use their annual SAS initiatives account voucher before applying for scholarship funds.
- Based primarily, but not solely, on financial need to credit unions with a record of interest and dedication to a career in the credit union movement.
- Ability of credit union to pay should a scholarship not be granted.
- Dedication of the credit union management and board to pay for the completion of an educational program which requires more than one year of study during which only one year of scholarship funds may be granted.
Use & Timing of Scholarships
- Scholarships will be used to pay tuition/registration fees and reasonable travel expenses directly related to a specific conference, workshop or school. Funds must be used within 120 days of approval date. Any funds not used during this period will no longer be available to the recipient.
- Receipts must be submitted to the Foundation within 30 days of the completion of the conference, workshop or school.
- Should the recipient not be able to attend a program and need to cancel after the refund deadline, reimbursement for any penalty(s) incurred will be due to the Foundation.
Chapter Champion Scholarships
Each Chapter is awarded one $500 scholarship annually to present to the person of their choosing (within LSCU guidelines). The scholarships are presented at the last Chapter meeting of the year, to be used the following year. In addition to receiving a scholarship, Chapter Champions will be listed on the foundation website.
The Chapter Champion is chosen by its Chapter Officers and must be from an affiliated credit union. For more information on nominating a 2019 Chapter Champion, please contact your Chapter President.
Apply for a Scholarship
Please read the scholarship guidelines before applying for the available scholarships.
- Apply for a scholarship online.
- Download a scholarship application
- Download a Scholarship Reimbursement Form
- Scholarship availability for 2019.
If you have any questions, contact Bobbi Grady, Foundation Development Coordinator of Southeastern Credit Union Foundation, at 866.231.0545, ext. 2128.