What We Do
What We Do
The Southeastern Credit Union Foundation is active in and dedicated to:
- Providing resources to better enable credit unions to reach and provide guidance to adult and youth on financial education.
- Equipping credit unions to better serve low-income segments through Community Development. This is done by assisting with the CDFI certification process and connecting credit unions with potential funding opportunities. The SECUF also aids credit unions through the establishment of grants to subsidize the cost associated with community development. For more information about the certification, please review the video series CDFI — Introduction and Overview. Contact SECUF Director Juli Lewis with further questions at 850-321-5199 or by email.
- Awarding professional development scholarships to those individuals who best exemplify the credit union philosophy, and whose attendance at approved programs would be beneficial in the perpetuation of credit union goals and ideas on an as-needed basis.
- Development, establishment, and/or operation of programs for disaster relief for credit unions and/or credit union employees who have been affected by a natural disaster or tragic event.
- Development and execution of fundraising programs to support Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) Hospitals.
Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for credit unions to collectively effect change through charitable giving and education. In 2015, the SECUF:
- Facilitated reality fairs at the Southeastern Credit Union Conference & Expo and the Southeastern Leadership Development Conference with students from the YMCA Teen Achievers’ program and local schools.
- Created a monthly online student financial workshop called “Cash Hash”.
- Conducted financial education training (which included NEFE and Biz Kids materials) with the LSCU Young Professional Group that they could take back to their credit unions.
- Worked with area young professional groups to increase fundraising efforts for Children’s Miracle Network.
- Partnered with CU Strategic Planning and Suncoast Credit Union to assist credit unions in becoming CDFI certified and in applying for federal grants for community development in Florida (and beginning the process in Alabama).
- Repaired the mobile branch and made necessary improvements in order to have the unit available for credit unions in need.
- Provided grants and resources for credit unions.